Friday, October 1, 2010

Charlie Is Here!






Charles Owen Abedi was born on Sept 22, 2010 at 6:27 pm. 7 lb 9 oz and 21.5 inches. I posted my birth story below:

Wednesday at work I was feeling super pregnant. I felt like I was
carrying a belt of cement around my waist and my patients were really
testing my patience. My legs were swollen and I felt rough. I did
notice the bloody show. I felt funny enough to email Ashley (my
awesome doula) and Scott, saying that I thought he might be
coming this weekend.

Luckily, on Wednesdays, I leave an hour early to get to Richmond to
have clinical supervision by 5pm. I literally parked my car, stepped
out of the car and--whoosh! My water broke. I called Scott like 12
times, paged him, texted him. (He was asleep at home, I found out later.)
He wasn't responding. I called Ashley
and the contractions started--hard, but I could breathe through them. I
asked Ashley to meet me at my house and my supervisor (bless him)
drove me home, saying things like, "you're doing great. You're
breathing so well." I noticed the contractions were coming about 3
mins apart, but i didn't think they were lasting a full minute.
Apparently, Ashley was able to WAKE Scott up before I came home.
(Thank God he was home early because he had a test the next day!
Another way the stars aligned for us.)

At home, I immediately got in the tub and poured cold water on myself.
Nothing was helping. The contractions were so intense I was literally
screaming. I also felt like I had to poop. The urge to push was
overwhelming. Ashley had arrived and Scott had called the doctor
within minutes. Ashley told me we should go to the hospital so we got
into the car. I didn't even put on underwear, just slipped on a night
gown. I got in the backseat on all fours, noticed a police officer,
and Scott got his attention. We had a police escort to the hospital,
speeding down monument ave to St. Mary's. I was pushing in the car--I
couldn't help it. I thought it was poop and I wanted it OUT even if it
were in the car. I didn't care. I've never felt pain like that in my
life. At the hospital, I was hardly able to remember my birthday.
Scott has pieced together some of the story for me because I was so
delirious with pain and shutting down I don't really remember it. I
apparently screamed at one of the nurses, "I'm not telling you!" when
she asked the baby's name. The on-call doc was Dr. Bendheim, whom I
had actually met once and who had told me that I might have this baby
in the car based on my early cervical dilation. I couldn't lay down,
and Dr. Bendheim checked everything with me on my hands and knees. i
remember Scott telling the nurses I had a fear of needles and declined
the hep lock, saying "it's in our birth plan" and the nurse laughing that
no one has had time to see a birth plan. I remember something about
Dr. Benheim saying he felt an ear when a nurse asked about my dilation.
I couldn't help but push and I delivered on my hands and knees.
Charlie came out perfectly. Scott and Ashley made sure the baby stayed
with me. All I can remember is Ashley having things ready--water,
etc., whenever I needed it. I held Charlie as I was stitched up. I
lost a ton of blood and I was actually worried about myself, I was so
weak. I remember being confused as to what was ripped and fearing that
I wasn't going to be able to have more children. Apparently I had
ripped my cervix and they had a hard time finding the source of the
blood. I was determined to breastfeed,though, and Ashley and Scott
basically
breast fed him for me. I just provided the breast. Everything happened
so fast--water broke at 5pm and Charlie was born at 6:27 pm--that it's
all a painful blur. YES, HE WAS BORN IN 1.5 HOURS! I didn't really get
to bond with Charlie emotionally until I finally accepted percocet. I
don't know what I was thinking declining it at first! It helped me
deal with the pain and focus on my perfect little boy, Charles Owen.
His head is perfectly shaped since he spent so little time in the
birth canal. I am so in love!

So, it was a whirlwind and honestly somewhat traumatic. I hadn't
expected it to hurt like THAT. However, I felt respected and
encouraged by all involved. I did it drug-free, just as planned!


No comments:

Post a Comment